Principals Julie Kelly and Sandy Giardi met 17 years ago at a Boston-based visitor’s magazine. The publication had a coveted Newbury Street address; one that placed historic architecture, the Public Garden and famed fashion houses within reach. Inspired and energized by the city, Julie, a NOLA transplant, and Sandy, the Ohio-native-turned-New-Englander, quickly bonded among the brownstones, over shopping finds, pop culture, late-night deadlines and early-morning Starbucks.
As art director and editor, respectively, they had separate offices, but you’d often find them huddled by Julie’s screen, getting a feature or layout or cover just right. Collaboration was key, as was a mutual drive and respect.
Their working relationship, based on creativity and a shared, exacting standard for strong writing and graphic design, was one built to last. It resulted in the founding of Three Bean Press, an award-winning niche publishing company that has produced premium-quality books for clients like Chef Peter Davis of The Charles Hotel, photographer Bill Brett and philanthropist Don Rodman.
Today, Three Bean Press uses the skills and expertise cultivated throughout the owners’ professional experiences to inform their work as publications specialists: a versatile team dedicated to communicating effectively—and beautifully—in forms of all kinds.
JULIE KELLY, FOUNDER
Julie’s suite of designs is sweet indeed. From catalogs to coffee table books, identity to invites, magazines to maps, T-shirts, ads and websites—there’s no end to the projects Julie’s given visual appeal.
• B.A. from the University of New Orleans with a degree in communications
• Certificate in computer graphics and prepress from Clark University
• Certificate in web design from Boston University
• Former designer for paperexchange.com and BankBoston
• Former art director at WHERE magazine
• Graphic designer for profit and nonprofit clients, including Jones and Bartlett Publishers, UUSC, Grand Circle Travel and The Food Project.
• Chief designer and publisher for Three Bean Press, producing more than 20 books for national distribution, and winning multiple awards for excellence in publishing
• Art director and graphic designer for the upscale home publication Boston Design Guide
SANDY GIARDI, FOUNDER
Writing and editing since 1996, Sandy’s developed quite a page count. She’s strung words together for celebrity interviews, theater and restaurant reviews, gallery and museum exhibitions, hot home trends and designs, greeting cards, fundraising pitches, press releases, blogs, memoirs and more.
• B.A. in English Literature from Trinity College, minor in advanced fiction writing and design
• M.A. in English literature from Northeastern University
• Coursework in literature and theater at Polytechnic of Central London
• Editor and writer for visitor guide Panorama magazine
• Editor and writer for Playbill and Theatrebill magazines
• Copywriter at Cull Martin & Associates
• Editor and writer at WHERE magazine
• Contributing editor and writer at WHERE Guestbook
• Publisher and editor at Three Bean Press, producing more than 20 books for national distribution, and winning multiple awards for excellence in publishing
• Writer and editor for Boston Design Guide